Wednesday, February 16, 2011

MOVIES - MOVIES - MOVIES!!


Instead of writing full blown reviews of each of these films, I thought I'd just give quick one-line review of each.  I've seen quite a few movies over the last few weeks, and haven't had time/effort to write reviews of each.  Enjoy!

127 Hours:  The true story of Aron Ralston, who literally cuts his arm off to save his own life.  James Franco is fantastic, as basically a one man show for the entire movie.  There were many reports of actual fainting during some screenings of the movie, and I can almost understand why.  It was gruesome, up close, and very personal.  Very much is Danny Boyle's style.  Excellent film.  4 out of 5 stars. 

Easy A:  I really enjoyed this movie.  Emma Stone was great, and I found it genuinely funny.  Would have liked to have seen more of Stanley Tucci though.... Highly recommended.  4 out of 5 stars.

The Devil's Ground:   Crappy horror movie.  Just awful.  1 out of 5 stars.

She's Out of My League:  Pretty funny film with Jay Baruchel, I enjoyed it.  3 out of 5 stars.

Iron Man 2:   Pretty good follow up to the first Iron Man  -  Downey is good again, but Cheadle is wasted.  Good action, good waste of 2 hours.  3 out of 5 stars.

Robin Hood:  This was the new adaption with Russell Crowe in the lead role.  Bears no resemblance to the 'Robin Hood' that we're more familiar with whatsoever though.  Director was going for more 'Braveheart' than anything.  Not awful.  3 out of 5 stars.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World:   I liked this more than I thought.  Michael Cera is great, another genuinely funny film.  Well made, but definitely not for everyone.  3.5 out of 5 stars.  Absolutely worth a rental.

Knight and Day:  I'm just going to say it:  I love Tom Cruise.  Thoroughly enjoy his movies and this is no exception.  It was fun, lots of action in Boston as well.  The story is 100% completely unbelievable and nonsensical, but it was fun to watch.  Rent it, and just go along for the ride.  3.5 out of 5 stars. 

The Other Guys:   Funny?  Sure, I guess so...... Not great though.  I really had hoped for more, but I'll take what I can get nowadays.  Way too many unfunny films lately.  3 out of 5 stars.  I say really not worth a rental.... (unfortunately)....

Buried:  Ryan Reynolds trapped inside a coffin, buried underground for 90 minutes.  Great job by Reynolds to keep us interested, but too many odd plot twists and bad decisions by his character to keep me fully invested.  3 out of 5 stars.

Devil:  This was the new M. Night Shyamalan movie.  5 people trapped inside of an elevator, one of them is the devil.  Huge twist that you never see coming towards the end (as is typical of his films), which truly disappointed me.  Not very scary, not very interesting.  2.5 out of 5 stars.

The Road:  I likes this better the first time I saw it, when it was called The Book of Eli.  Talk about depressing..... 2.5 out of 5 stars.

The Road to Perdition:  Now this one I liked overall.  Love Tom Hanks, and despite the ending, and Daniel Craig's odd casting, this was a generally good movie.  One of Paul Newman's last roles as well..... 3.5 out of 5 stars.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment