Monday, October 25, 2010

DATE NIGHT


Steve Carell? Love him.  Can't get enough Michael Scott.  Tina Fey?  Love her.  30 Rock is my favorite show on TV and SNL is relevant again thanks to her.  Steve Carell and Tina Fey together in a preposterous movie that feels like a long, inside joke between friends?  Truly, truly terrible.........

This felt like about a half of a step up from one of those SNL skits that becomes an actual movie (It's Pat, Ladies Man, Superstar, etc....).  The movie is packed, PACKED with random cameos that are undoubtedly just friends of Carell and Fey and got stuck into the movie (James Franco, Mila Kunis, Mark Ruffalo, Kristen Wigg, Leighton Meester, Common, Olivia Munn, Will-I-Am).  Only Mark Wahlberg has an extended role, looking his Marky-Mark and the Funky Bunch best sans shirt the entire time. 

The whole movie feels contrived, stale, and just plain stupid.  The series of events that lead Carell and Fey to the climax of the movie make horror movie bimbo's look smart in comparison.  I have no problem buying into a ridiculous movie if the leads are supposed to be utterly stupid (Dumb and Dumber), but a grown, married couple who are parents of 2 children and live in a nice suburb, cannot POSSIBLY be this stupid. 

I know I may be in the minority in feeling so, especially as the film has made nearly $150MM worldwide to date, but I really disliked this movie.  This is a movie that caters to the lowest common denominator.  In fact, my DVD stopped working with about 30 minutes left, and I nearly didn't care enough to try it in a different DVD player to make it the ending.  I did, and I watched, and felt stupider for doing so.  1 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment