Sunday, September 5, 2010

OUR FAMILY WEDDING


A few weeks ago when I rented Hot Tub Time Machine, one of the previews before the movie was for Our Family Wedding.  To me, it looked like a straight to DVD comedy that I'd of had no interest in seeing, but my wife laughed, and laughed and laughed at the trailer.....and asked me to get the movie from Netflix.  Absolutely no way.  There was no way I was renting this low budget crappy comedy that I'd never heard of, based on one 'seen it all' slapstick trailer.  No way..

So, we watched the film the other night....of course we did.  And.....there's nothing new here.  Guy and girl fall in love.  Guy is black, girl is Latino.  Latino family can't believe she's going to marry a black guy.  Black guy's family can't believe he's marrying into a crazy Latino family.  And around and around we go...... This movie had more stereotype jokes than Blazing Saddles.

Lance Gross plays the lead role opposite America Ferrera (Ugly Betty).  Forest Whitaker and Carlos Mencia play the equally crazed fathers, who after a bit of a run-in early in the movie, cannot stand each other.  Whitaker and Mencia end up being the focus of the movie, each getting small sub-plots (both romantically based) that show their shortcomings, but allowing them both to atone and make reparations in the end.

Aside from the 'been there done that' plot of the film, the main problem I have with the movie is in the editing.  It was brutal.  I'm not sure that the filmmakers had ever heard of the word 'segway' or 'lead up' to and from a scene.  You went from a scene in a bakery, straight to a garage, back to the house, over to the other house, once more in the garage.....  No segway or flow whatsoever.  The film really misses the mark in this sense, and makes for a generally unfunny and cliche movie.

Did I laugh a few times?  Sure.  Did I hate myself for it?  Absolutely.  2 out of 5 stars.  I'm sorry, I simply can't recommend this one at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment